turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I adjust my home's basis-for home office depreciation-with improvements over time of ownership (15y)? I once tried but was told I must first amend previous returns.

Purchased older home in 2005, have more than doubled my purchase price over the years with renovations, but never increased my basis for home-office depreciation 8826 purposes--I was told I would need to go back and amend a decade  of returns in order to do so.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Can I adjust my home's basis-for home office depreciation-with improvements over time of ownership (15y)? I once tried but was told I must first amend previous returns.

You cannot change the basis you have been using, but you can add any improvement as a separate asset to reflect the additional depreciation. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Right. (Sorry, Mary. After posting, I remembered looking that up last year, and the answer...duh)

Manage cookies