• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
metwou60
Returning Member

Can a grandparent claim deductions if they care for grandchild full time?

I take care of my 17 month old grandson full time without getting paid. Can I deduct any expenses incurred as a result of taking care of him, such as diapers, wipes  food, home heating and cooling?

2 Replies
xmasbaby0
Level 15

If you are being paid to take care of him you can file the income as self-employment income and enter your expenses on a Schedule C.    But you say you are not being paid.   Sorry, you cannot get a tax deduction for being a generous grandparent.    

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
LenaH
Expert Alumni

In addition to the information explained by @xmasbaby0, it is important to note that if your state requires you to have a license for a "daycare", you may not be able to deduct your "home office" expenses (the percentage of your home used for the daycare). This would apply to deducting a portion of your utilities as well. I am not sure what state you are located in, but it is recommended to check your state laws on license requirement if you choose to go this route. 

@metwou60  

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v