turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cpace

Are medical insurance premiums deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, generally, but it depends on how the premiums were paid. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes

Medical Insurance Premiums are deductible net of any reimbursement for payment from the employer or third party. All medical and dental expenses are deductible that exceed 7.5% of Adjusted Gross Income.

jdahm

One cautionary note.  If you enter your medical premiums during the business section of Turbotax, the software will maximize how much can be deducted on schedule-C.  It then takes the remainder and enters it on the schedule-A itemized deduction calculation - BUT it does not make this obvious.  So when you get to the personal section and enter personal deductions you may think you need to enter the insurance premiums again, or you may enter the remainder from schedule-C into this deduction.  This will cause the deduction in schedule-A to be too large as it will add the premiums twice.  You'll only notice this when you print schedule-A and see the medical portion is much higher than shown in the "step-by-step" format.  

Turbo tax is not letting me enter the premiums paid to united health care for suplemental medical insurance. Why not?

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

If the medical insurance premiums were paid out of pocket, the expenses are deductible.  You must deduct any reimbursements for payments from a third party.  For the 2019 tax return, medical and dental expenses are deductible that exceed 7.5% of your income.

Do you mean that you were not allowed to enter the cost of premiums?  The software would not accept the entry?

The software says “Did you spend more than (7.5% of your) medical expenses in 2019?”  Did your total medical expenses not exceed 7.5% of your income?

I retired from my company and have retiree benefits, but I pay55% of the premium out of  my pocket.  Can I enter this as a deduction?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, anything that is paid out of pocket is deductible.

I receive a 1099 R for my retirement payment.  I pay $1000 per month to my former employer for medical insurance.  Is this deductible.?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, if the premiums are included on your 1099-R as taxable income, you can deduct the premiums as a medical expense on Schedule A.  @rlfcatfan

They are not included on my 1099 R because I write a check out each month to the medical insurance premium.  This payment goes out after receiving my pension payment.

@rlfcatfan wrote:

They are not included on my 1099 R because I write a check out each month to the medical insurance premium.  This payment goes out after receiving my pension payment.

Health care insurance premiums and other medical expenses that you paid with out of pocket funds are an eligible medical expense that you can deduct using Schedule A for itemized deductions. However, only your total medical expenses that are greater than 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) can be deducted. Your total itemized deductions reported on Form 1040 Schedule A must be greater than the standard deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

Standard deductions for 2019

• Single - $12,200 add $1,650 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,200 add $1,300 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $24,400 add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $18,350 add $1,650 if age 65 or older

To enter your medical expenses -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Medical
  • On Medical Expenses, click the start or update button

Or enter medical expenses, sch a in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to medical expenses, sch a

Are medical insurance premiums paid through my retirement plan deductible?

Cynthiad66
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.  You can include in medical expenses insurance premiums you pay for policies that cover medical care.  However, don't include in your medical and dental expenses any insurance premiums paid by an employer-sponsored health insurance plan unless the premiums are included on your Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement.

Also, don't include any other medical and dental expenses paid by the plan unless the amount paid is included on your Form W-2. Example. You are a federal employee participating in the premium conversion plan of the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB) program. Your share of the FEHB premium is paid by making a pre-tax reduction in your salary. Because you are an employee whose insurance premiums are paid with money that is never included in your gross income, you can't deduct the premiums paid with that money.

Now, to be clear.  No, you are not allowed to deduct pre-tax premiums for health insurance on your tax return.  You can only deduct the premiums that you pay (after tax income). Not what your employer spends for your coverage. . 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies