turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

All of my HSA contributions were made entirely through my employer. Why is there a HSA deduction amount listed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

All of my HSA contributions were made entirely through my employer. Why is there a HSA deduction amount listed?

If all of the Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions were reported on your W-2 in box 12 with code W, there should not be a deduction for HSA showing on your return.  Payroll deductions going to your HSA are pre-tax and not deducted.

You should go back through the HSA section of your return and double-check the entries to be sure that there is nothing entered as an additional HSA contribution.  Pay close attention to the screen titled 'Let's enter your HSA contributions' and also the following screen asking about any additional contributions that your employer told you about.  Answer Yes, and then be sure all the fields are blank.

Use these steps to return to the HSA section of your return:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “hsa” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to hsa
  • Click on the blue “Jump to hsa” link and enter your information
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Tried answering "yes" as suggested but did not remove the HSA deduction

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Is it possible that on the screen "Let's enter [name]'s HSA contributions", you entered the amount of your payroll deductions as a "personal" contribution? This second field shows up on line 12 of Schedule 1 (1040).

However, as Annette noted above, any amount of contributions done through your employer - whether from your employer or from you by payroll deduction - do not appear as a deduction on line 12 of Schedule 1 (1040), because the code W amount in box 12 on your W-2 is removed from Wages in boxes 1,3, and 5 before your W-2 is printed.

I suggest that you remove all your HSA data and start over, in case some piece of data has gotten "stuck".

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen)

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

6. go back and redo the entire HSA interview.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies