turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

A piece of PRIMARY (only) home's lot - just land - was purchased for a state roads project. No investment sale. I was paid for it to offset depreciation of home. Taxed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

A piece of PRIMARY (only) home's lot - just land - was purchased for a state roads project. No investment sale. I was paid for it to offset depreciation of home. Taxed?

No.  But, it reduces the cost basis of your home, which is used in calculating your capital gains when you sell.

And, if you received a 1099-S for the sale, you must report it.  You would report sale of "something else", the purchase date is the date you bought the home, sale date is the date the lot was subdivided, and purchase price and sales price would be the same number--the amount you received. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No.  But, it reduces the cost basis of your home, which is used in calculating your capital gains when you sell.

And, if you received a 1099-S for the sale, you must report it.  You would report sale of "something else", the purchase date is the date you bought the home, sale date is the date the lot was subdivided, and purchase price and sales price would be the same number--the amount you received. 

Thank you, infinity more succinct than the expert I talked to....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies