turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2019 medical deduction threshhold

What is the medical deduction threshold for 2019?  I see either 7.5% of AGI  or 10% of AGI mentioned in different places.  The Schedule A form in Turbotax shows 7.5% but the actual Schedule A form from the IRS site shows 10%.  Which is correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

The medical deduction threshold of 7.5% has been extended to include 2019, as of 12/19/2019.  See the linked publication below for more info on updates.  Thanks to SuperUser @rjs for provision of the link

https://engagetax.wolterskluwer.com/Consolidated-Appropriations-Act-2020

*Please click the thumbs-up icon if this response was helpful.
**Please click "Mark As Best Answer" if your question has been resolved. Thank you.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@RonS1 wrote:

The Schedule A form in Turbotax shows 7.5% but the actual Schedule A form from the IRS site shows 10%.

The IRS published Schedule A for 2019 earlier in December, before the new law was passed. They have not yet updated Schedule A to reflect the retroactive change in the new law.

In a prior conversation with tax adviser, Rob I mentioned to him that Turbo Tax's instructions relative to a deduction for real estate taxes refers the user to 2018 Schedule A but its references to items 5a and 5b seem to  incorrectly refer to the wrong statement. He asked me to send my comment to you.

Looking for a response to to subject message. Was I wrong?

Nick 1933

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Could you restate the question for us, please? We are not privy to whatever you and Rob may have talked about.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies