turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

VK9966PK
Returning Member

1099-C Cancellation of Debt Form sent to an Estate

I am expecting to get two 1099-C's, Cancellation of Debts, one from Bank of America for Credit card and one from AlaskaUSA Credit Union for an unsecured loan. These are for a deceased persons estate that I am the executor of and will file a 1041 tax return again this year on the estate.  The estate is solvent. Also, how would a cancellation of debt be done by the creditors to be considered as a gift, inheritance, device or a bequest?

I really can't find anything on the IRS website that definitely states that an Estate has to claim this cancellation of debt as income, on line 8, Other Income. 

Everything I have reviewed talks to the individual having to claim such items as income.

What is your advice, knowledge of or any other statement that you could make to help me understand what must be done with the 1099-C's?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

1099-C Cancellation of Debt Form sent to an Estate

You need to consult with local legal counsel and/or a local tax professional.

Generally, the income will be considered taxable to the estate unless one of the exceptions applies.

See https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc431

With respect to commercial lenders, the cancellation will not be considered to be a gift.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies