turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question: Can the entire amount of the truck be deprecated in the current year using section 179 deduction?

Purchased a new F-150 super crew cab pickup truck in 2017 for $33,000. My business was legally formed January 2017. I'm reporting a net loss due to startup cost, depreciation, expenses etc... Question: Can the entire amount of the truck be deprecated in the current year using section 179 deductions? Or is there a cap/limit on the amount allowed to deduct in the 1st year due to the expense being a vehicle and the business filing a net loss. I use this vehicle 100% of the time for my business.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Question: Can the entire amount of the truck be deprecated in the current year using section 179 deduction?

No, as reported by the journal of Accountancy March 2017 “The IRS on Friday issued the 2017 inflation adjustments to the depreciation limitations and lease inclusion amounts for certain automobiles under Sec. 280F (Rev. Proc. 2017-29).

For trucks and vans, the limit is $11,560 for the first tax year if bonus depreciation applies and $3,560 if it does not apply.”

https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/news/2017/mar/2017-car-depreciation-irs-inflation-adjustments-2...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies