Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rlg218

Question about the Child and Dependent Care Credit

According to IRS Publication 503, you can take the Child and Dependent Care Credit 'so you (and your spouse if filing jointly) can work or look for work.' My wife and I are filing jointly and in 2018 one of us worked full time while the other was actively looking for work. We enrolled our 2 year old in pre-k and had a nanny watch him several times a week when neither of us were home to watch him. We incurred this child care expense while one of us was working full time and the other was actively seeking work. Our dynamic seems to be precisely aligned with the spirit of this credit, especially with one parent actively seeking work due to a loss of previous income. We seem like the archetype for those who could really use this credit. Just because one of us didn't show earned income in 2018, we cannot take this credit? We meet all the other criteria. To me, it seems that the spirit of this publication was drafted to reflect if one parent is a homemaker than they should be home as the care provider, and therefore, unable to take this child care expense credit. That would make sense, but that was not the case in our household.

Any advice on how to handle would be sincerely appreciated! How can we prove this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Question about the Child and Dependent Care Credit

According to the IRS:

"You Must Have Earned Income

To claim the credit, you (and your spouse if filing jointly) must have earned income during the year."

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p503#en_US_2018_publink1000203280

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies