Solved: Question about mileage deduction, work receiving 1099 versus w-2

Question about mileage deduction, work receiving 1099 versus w-2

My wife started a job where she needs to drive to client homes, in many cases her pay has deductions and will show up on a w-2 next year. Some clients direct pay, and I suspect we will get a 1099 next year. 

Can the mileage for clients who pay with a 1099 deductable? I am guessing that I would need to create a schedule C for her, and the miles to/from client to home are then a deduction on the schedule C

Yes, you are correct that if your wife receives a 1099-Misc, she will report her income and expenses (including mileage) on a Schedule C.

This is advantageous as persons paid on a W-2 can no longer deduct any expenses as of the new tax changes in 2018.

Click this link for more info on  Reporting Self Employment Income and Expenses.

[Edited 03/23/2020 | 4:59 PM]

[Edited 03/23/2020 | 4:59 PM]