turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Purchased 2nd home 2019 and sold 2020, to son- 20yr.@ 2.9%. I reported 1099-int in TT. Have also added sale info under Other. Do I add sale info as Installment sales to?

This home was purchased as a fixer and sold to son once repaired. It was never lived in during repair period or rented.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Purchased 2nd home 2019 and sold 2020, to son- 20yr.@ 2.9%. I reported 1099-int in TT. Have also added sale info under Other. Do I add sale info as Installment sales to?

Your second residence (such as a vacation home) is considered a capital asset. Use Schedule D (Form 1040), Capital Gains and Losses and Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets to report sales, exchanges, and other dispositions of capital assets.  

Installment sales is not necessary because this transaction is between related parties, plus the sale of your second home is not taxable unless the profit if married filing joint is $500,000.00 or $250,000.00 if single.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes, this is an Installment Sale. I don't know what you mean by adding the sales info under "Other". Just include in on the Form 6252.

What I mean by adding the sale info under Stocks, Mutual Funds and Other.  Under the Other in this catagory in investment income it takes one thru the sale detail.  Should I remove the information there if I use the Installment sales?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Your second residence (such as a vacation home) is considered a capital asset. Use Schedule D (Form 1040), Capital Gains and Losses and Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets to report sales, exchanges, and other dispositions of capital assets.  

Installment sales is not necessary because this transaction is between related parties, plus the sale of your second home is not taxable unless the profit if married filing joint is $500,000.00 or $250,000.00 if single.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies