slyeye0

Property tax on cars where do i deduct them on the forms

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Would you like to view more questions that might be relevant?
MollsBBU

To enter the tax-deductible information from your annual vehicle fees:

1. First sign in to My TurboTax.
  2. Next, click the orange Take me to my return button
  3. From inside your return, click Federal Taxes
    If in Self-Employed or Home & Business versions with no Federal Taxes tab, you may need to click Personal instead
  4. Then, click Deductions and Credits from the white menu bar at the top
    Then, you may need to click Continue/I'll choose what I work on, and progress through a few interview screens
  5. In the Cars and Other Things You Own section, click show more
    You may need to click the button to see all tax breaks for the other sections to appear
  6. You'll have the option to enter information in the Car Registration Fees section here

Please note: You may be able to take an itemized deduction on Schedule A for any tax related portion of the registration fee (if you are not itemizing - this won't affect your refund). To be deductible, the tax portion must be based on the value of the vehicle and be charged on a yearly basis. Registration, administrative, or emission testing fees, or tag or plate fees are not deductible for federal purposes. Often, your registration form will show separate lines for each item, be sure you deduct only the portion listed as for a vehicle tax. You may be able to deduct the other fees on your state return.

If you mean to enter sales taxes paid, please see here for how to enter this in the program.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing