turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California, married filing separately: how do we enter bank '1098' form mortgage deduction? each one 50% or one of us 100%?

California, married filing separately: What do we enter in the bank '1098' form mortgage deduction?

I do understand that each one of us enters 50%

But do we both claim on 1098 only 50% of the bank supplied amount?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

California, married filing separately: how do we enter bank '1098' form mortgage deduction? each one 50% or one of us 100%?

You can split the mortgage interest deduction in any way you can agree on, but between you, you cannot deduct more than 100% of the amount reported on form 1098.

Please note that when you are filing separately, both spouses have to itemize even if this results for one spouse in a deduction smaller than the standard deduction. Or both can opt to use the standard deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Please clarify:  if my 1098 reports, say, $10000, I fill in $5000 on my 1098 Box 1 and my wife inserts $5000 on Box 1 on hers?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Yes
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thank u
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies