daveinBA

Paraguay is not an option in the list of countries for form 2555 for the foreign housing exclusion and is a valid country. Can someone explain how to resolve?

BillM223

@daveinBA @dmr958 

The update for "All Other Countries" has been made to both the Online and CD/download products. Please update your CD/download software (click on Online top left and then check for updates).

Note that the entry is called "All other countries not listed", and it is found at the very end of the second country list (M-Z).

[Edited 2/13/2020 11:20 am CST]

ThomasM125

Since Paraguay is not listed as a location for your home, then you should leave the entry blank. The cities listed have a special limit on how much housing expense you are are allowed, based on the cost of living in those cities. Since your City is not listed, you are not subject to those limits.

daveinBA

TurboTax needs to fix this.

If no value is entered then TurboTax does not reduce the Tax due.

If I update to some other country the amount is reduced as expected.

The software must included an OTHER option as this is a bug.

LinaJ2020

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.  Our team is working on resolving the issue.  

daveinBA

Thank you for the response.  Please let us know when this issue is resolved.😊

LeonardS

The list of countries is for Form 2555 is for those countries that have a housing expense amount that is higher than the standard amount.  Paraguay has the standard limit on housing expenses that is why it is not on the list.

daveinBA

@LeonardS

Though I appreciate your response.

Per my earlier response to @ThomasM125, without some kind of choice such as OTHER, the software does not deduct the amount from the taxes.

I checked both TaxAct and HR Block.

Both applications either provide OTHER or Paraguay options and deduct the amount as expected.

This is a bug in the TurboTax software and should be addressed per @LinaJ2020 .

Thanks! -David

BillM223

There is a workaround for the missing "All Other Counties".

If you will choose "Angola-All other" (or any "X-All other" where X is the name of a country in the list), then the $31,770 amount will appear on line 29b, and if you are eligible, you will get your housing exclusion.

Just keep a copy of this for your records, in case the IRS ever asks, "Why Angola?"

daveinBA

@BillM223 

I understand the solution, but it's not acceptable for TurboTax not to have a viable solution.

If a user of this software needs to explain to the IRS that there's a flaw in TurboTax then I may as well choose a different solution which addresses it properly.

I'll wait for a bugfix per @LinaJ2020 

If none is forthcoming I'd appreciate that update from TurboTax development directly so I can move on after 7 years of using this Tax application... which seems pretty sad.

Thanks! -David

daveinBA

@LinaJ2020 

Is there a timeframe to have this issue corrected in the software?

Thanks! -David Levin

LindaB1993

I recommend selecting "Argentina-All other".  Page one of the Form 2555 will display the proper address for "all other".   

(This fix may be coming in the future, but no time-frame is available right now.)

dmr958

I'm having the same trouble with my location being in Finland. It seems absurd to me that this hasn't been addressed--especially since last year, there was an appropriate  'other country not listed' option available.

daveinBA

Hey @dmr958,

Thank you for being sane 🙂

This is exactly my point.

If this isn't resolved before mid-March I'm going to use a different service.

Good luck! -David

CatinaT1

The word we get is that it will be released in an update next week (I don't have an exact date). Next week, look for the return of the "All Other Countries" option in the list (please update your CD/download software) - Online will be done automatically..

daveinBA

Hi @CatinaT1 ,

I'll look for it after next week.👍

Thank you! -David