Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Overcontribution to dependent care flexible spending account

I switched employers and over contributed to my dependent care flex a/c last year to the tune of 6000$ , as I understand max limit is 5000$ my expenses were 8000$ how to correct and report this correctly?

1 Reply
New Member

Overcontribution to dependent care flexible spending account

You need to enter the W-2s exactly as reported.  You can then enter the child care expenses you paid.  

If you have only one child, only 3,000 of expenses would be eligible for the credit, but since more than $3,000 was paid from your FSA, there would be no credit.  $1,000 of your FSA would become taxable.

Up to $6,000 of expenses would be eligible if you have more than one child.  Since you overcontributed, $1,000 of your withheld amount will become taxable income, so up to $1,000 of your expense could be used to create a credit. 

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies