turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Overcontributed to hsa in 2015.

TTax is asking for information from 2015 form 5329.  I don't have a form 5329 in my 2015 return.

Overcontributed $5050 on 12/28/15; reversed deposit on 1/11/16.  How do I handle ion my 2016 return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you did a withdrawal of excess contributions in January 2016, then you would not have had a 5329, because you would not have been assessed the 6% excise tax for not withdrawing the excess before the original due date of the return.

And if you indeed withdraw the entire amount in January 2016 and paid no excise tax on the 5329, then you don't have any excess contribution to carry over to 2016, which is what the question is asking for.

Note that if you had had an excise penalty in 2015, it would have appeared on Form 1040, line 59.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you did a withdrawal of excess contributions in January 2016, then you would not have had a 5329, because you would not have been assessed the 6% excise tax for not withdrawing the excess before the original due date of the return.

And if you indeed withdraw the entire amount in January 2016 and paid no excise tax on the 5329, then you don't have any excess contribution to carry over to 2016, which is what the question is asking for.

Note that if you had had an excise penalty in 2015, it would have appeared on Form 1040, line 59.

Great answer.  Thank you very much.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies