Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

One college student is eligible for American Opportunity Credit and one Lifetime Learning Credit how can I separate these on form8863?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

One college student is eligible for American Opportunity Credit and one Lifetime Learning Credit how can I separate these on form8863?

You cannot get both of them for the same student----you get one or the other.    The AOC is the one that has a refundable portion.   The Lifetime Learning Credit can reduce tax owed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Are you saying that you have two students, one who is eligible for the American Opportunity Credit and one who is eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit? If that's the case, you enter the information for each student separately in TurboTax. After you enter all the information for one student, you will come to the Education Expenses Summary page. On that page, click the button that says "Add a Student" and enter the information for the other student. TurboTax will create a separate Page 2 of Form 8863 for each student.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies