turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marc8478

On form 2106, it is requesting the mileage and total cost of the vehicle I used for business travel in 2016. I need clarification on this.

I was a police officer recruit for 2016 and had to use my personal vehicle to travel to the police academy. I was informed i can use the mileage on my tax return. I entered the mileage used, but form 2106 it is asking for the mileage and the cost of the vehicle. I am not sure on what to enter for that.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmandaR1

On form 2106, it is requesting the mileage and total cost of the vehicle I used for business travel in 2016. I need clarification on this.

It sounds like you're being asked this in the review screens, so I'd recommend going back to the initial entry and making sure to enter this info there as asked. I'll include instructions below.

Also, you must enter the mileage under "business" not commuting miles, on the entry screen for the mileage. The software also does ask about the vehicle, per the IRS rules, but again I'd recommend entering this in the initial entry area. To do so:

1. Login and click Take me to my return
  2. Select the Federal Taxes tab and then click the Deductions & Credits tab below it
  3. Scroll down to the Employee Expenses section and click the blue hyperlink Show more
  4. Click Start/Revisit next to Job Expenses for W-2
  5. Next you'll be on a summary screen and see your occupation, which means your job during 2016.  Click Edit next to this Occupation.
  6. You'll need to Continue through these screens until you come to a vehicle expense summary screen. Here you'll see your mileage listed by the vehicle. You can click Edit to review your entry. If you're having any problems, sometimes it's easier to + Add another vehicle to make changes and Delete the old entry (from the summary screen).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies