turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We can only enter two vehicles into the vehicle summary. Can we enter more than two?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
LisaBr

We can only enter two vehicles into the vehicle summary. Can we enter more than two?

Yes, you can enter additional vehicles.  Under the Job Expense Deduction follow these instructions:

If you are entering vehicles and their mileage for Form 2106 (Employee Business Expenses), you are limited to 2 vehicles per Form 2106. You will have to create a second Form 2106 to record your third and fourth vehicles. Here is how you can create a second Form 2106:

1. Enter job expenses, employee in the TurboTax search box and press the Enter key
  2. Click Jump to job expenses, employee in the search results.
  3. On the Job-Related Expenses Summary screen, you'll see your first occupation (the one with vehicles one & two entered). Click Add Another Occupation.
  4. You'll see a new Tell Us About the Occupation You Have Expenses For screen. Enter a second (#2) occupation and continue answering the questions.
  5. At the Tell Us About Your Vehicle screen, enter your third vehicle, then Continue through the interview
  6. On the Vehicle Summary screen, if you wish to add a fourth vehicle, click the Add a Vehicle button and enter the information for your fourth vehicle.

The following information is how to add multiple vehicles to the Self-Employed income section:

You will need to go back to the beginning of the Vehicle Expense section. 

You will see the Vehicle Expense Summary section. 

Underneath the list of vehicles, there is + Add a Vehicle.  Click on this and you can add another vehicle or as many as needed.

[Edited:  03.11.2018  7:44 PM EST]

For some reason it only allows me to enter in 2 cars. It doesn't show the add a vehicle button after I enter in my second car.
LisaBr

We can pull up a sanitized copy (all personal information is blocked from view) of your tax return and take a look to see if something is triggering the error. Here is what you need to do to generate the token code:  Open up Tax Tools at the bottom left of the side bar.  Click on Tools directly underneath Tax Tools.  Tools Center will pop-up in the middle of your screen.  Select Share My File with Agent.  Click OK for Diagnostic Copy.  The next box will have a six digit number that you share.  (It's a random number generated number that means nothing to anyone else).

429608 is my code
LisaBr

Ok.  We'll take a look at this for you.
LisaBr

I added the instructions in the answer above. I thought you were working from the Self-Employed area.  Basically, you need to add an additional occupation.  You can call it the same thing, label it #2.  You won't need to add income and other expenses, just additional vehicles.

ok thank you
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies