Not receiving federal deduction for an estimated s...

skervis33

Not receiving federal deduction for an estimated state tax payment

When I am comparing last year with the current year, I see 'state and local income or sales taxes'  deductions shown for 2018 as $4650.00 but for the current year, I only see $2868.00. It does not seem to include an estimated state tax payment of $2020.00 I made. Whereas 2018 I made the same type of estimated state tax payment and it was included.  So I do not think I am receiving the deduction for my federal taxes. 

Texas Roger

To enter them, type state taxes paid in the search box and click on jump to state taxes paid in the drop down box. 

skervis33

Thanks for the reply. They are already entered. I did that.  So on the state filing side, I do see the $2020 and it shows on the state return. But on the federal side, I do not see it under 'state and local income or sales taxes'.

The only state taxes I see on the federal side is the amount withheld by my company ($2868.00). Shouldn't that estimated state tax I paid ($2020.00) be added to that figure to give me a total of $4888.00 and thus an additional deduction of $2020 from my federal taxes? If the $2020.00 does not show as a deduction on the federal side, then I am am paying federal taxes on it when I shouldn't?

Texas Roger

You must enter them when completing your federal tax return in the estimated taxes paid section when you are preparing it. When entered there they go on to the tax payments worksheet which is where the itemized deductions on Schedule A are taken from. 

You don't get a deduction for them unless the total of all your itemized deductions add up to more than the standard deduction on your federal tax return.