turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Non-Qualified (Taxable) Moving Expenses 2023 tax year

I received EMPLOYEE MOVING EXPENSE INFORMATION from moving company for tax year 2023 with Non-Qualified (Taxable) Moving Expenses.

Company paid through moving company a Miscellaneous Allowance -(Non-Gross up).

There is no 1099 or IRS form number for the expense report.


It mentions total tax assistance including federal, state, OASDI, Medicare taxes. 


Where does this information go in the turbotax system?



Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

Non-Qualified (Taxable) Moving Expenses 2023 tax year

It depends.  If you were reimbursed moving expenses from a moving company and not your employer, then the amount should be added to your other income. First be sure the employer has not already included this in your W-2.


For 2018 through 2025, employers must include moving expense reimbursements in employees’ wages. The new tax law suspends the exclusion for qualified moving expense reimbursements.

Exception 1: Members of the U.S. Armed Forces can still exclude qualified moving expense reimbursements from their income if:

  • They are on active duty
  • They move pursuant to a military order and incident to a permanent change of station
  • The move expenses would qualify as a deduction if the employee didn’t get a reimbursement

Exception 2: Employers may exclude from wages any 2018 reimbursements to or payments on behalf of employees for moving expenses incurred for a move that took place prior to January 1, 2018, and which would have been deductible had they been paid prior to that date. See Notice 2018-75PDF


You do not meet an exception, then you would add the income as follows:

Other Miscellaneous Income:

  1. Go to the Wages and Income  section of TurboTax
  2. Scroll to  Less Common Income > Select  Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  3. Select Other reportable Income > Enter a description (----) and the amount (See image below).

If you have federal or state withholding that is not included on your W-2 you can enter it as follows:

  1. Sign into your TurboTax account > once inside the return select Deductions and Credits at the top
  2. Scroll to Estimate and Other Taxes Paid > Show More > Start/Revisit beside Income Taxes Paid > Scroll to Other Income Taxes Paid in 2022
  3. Continue to Start Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099




**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies