turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mochoa100

I recieved a car from my father's estate settlement (he passed away in '16) via an act of donation. The act of donation lists the value of the car at $2k, I later (same year '16) traded it in for a newer vehicle, got $1,500 credit. Are there any tax impli

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I recieved a car from my father's estate settlement (he passed away in '16) via an act of donation. The act of donation lists the value of the car at $2k, I later (same year '16) traded it in for a newer vehicle, got $1,500 credit. Are there any tax impli

No, you received personal property (car) from the estate.  Then traded it for $500 less than it is worth earlier.

You can't take a loss on a personal vehicle, so there is no tax impact to you and this does not need to be reflected anywhere in the tax return. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No, you received personal property (car) from the estate.  Then traded it for $500 less than it is worth earlier.

You can't take a loss on a personal vehicle, so there is no tax impact to you and this does not need to be reflected anywhere in the tax return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies