turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am self employed and moved in 2016. Can I deduct on 2016 return or do I need to wait some period of time.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

I am self employed and moved in 2016. Can I deduct on 2016 return or do I need to wait some period of time.

No, you don't have to wait some period of time. You may be able to deduct moving expenses in 2016 if the move:

• Is closely related to the start of a job, and you meet certain time and distance requirements 
    (with special circumstances for military and armed forces).
  • Was to seek work and you obtained a full-time position
    (must meet certain time requirements).

Keep records of your expenses, including meals, lodging, gas, truck or trailer rental, tolls, and packing costs during the move. TurboTax will help you determine which expenses will apply to your move.

The deduction gets reported on IRS Form 3903, Moving Expenses.

To get to this section in TurboTax:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search field, search for moving expenses and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your work-related moving expenses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

No, you don't have to wait some period of time. You may be able to deduct moving expenses in 2016 if the move:

• Is closely related to the start of a job, and you meet certain time and distance requirements 
    (with special circumstances for military and armed forces).
  • Was to seek work and you obtained a full-time position
    (must meet certain time requirements).

Keep records of your expenses, including meals, lodging, gas, truck or trailer rental, tolls, and packing costs during the move. TurboTax will help you determine which expenses will apply to your move.

The deduction gets reported on IRS Form 3903, Moving Expenses.

To get to this section in TurboTax:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search field, search for moving expenses and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your work-related moving expenses.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies