f_3l

What if someone else paid my car registration fee, can I still list it for a refund?

SusanH

No, you cannot enter something that you did not pay and only the portion of a registration fee that is based on value is deductible. 

Additionally, car registration fees, when deductible, are combined with other Schedule A / Itemized deduction amounts which include Mortgage Interest, Real Estate Taxes, Charity and other Donations, Employee Job expenses and more. 

The IRS allows you either a Standard Deduction or Itemized Deduction whichever is higher.  TurboTax will default to whichever gives you the highest deduction, the total of Itemized Deductions or your Standard Deduction.   

This year the standard deduction for:
• Single  or Married Filing Separate - $6,300 
• Married Filing Jointly or Qualifying Widow(er) - $12,600 
• Head of Household - $9,250

SusanH

This year the standard deduction for:
• Head of Household - $9,250