turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I play guitar in church are any of my instrument costs (instrument and accessories) deductible ? I'm not on staff at church, I'm a servant volunteer .

I bought a guitar for the purpose of playing it Church, I also bought some effect pedals, and accessories all the purchases were made to use the guitar and accessories strictly for Church.  Are any or all of these deductible ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I play guitar in church are any of my instrument costs (instrument and accessories) deductible ? I'm not on staff at church, I'm a servant volunteer .

No, there is no deduction for your instruments and accessories.  If you were being paid they might be deductible depending upon whether you were considered a employee or an independent contractor.  Since your not being paid, there is no income to deduct them against.  If you gifted the instruments to the church and received a receipt you could deduct them as a charitable contribution; however, they are your personal property so there is no deduction.  In this case you'll have to settle for the satisfaction of serving.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

No, there is no deduction for your instruments and accessories.  If you were being paid they might be deductible depending upon whether you were considered a employee or an independent contractor.  Since your not being paid, there is no income to deduct them against.  If you gifted the instruments to the church and received a receipt you could deduct them as a charitable contribution; however, they are your personal property so there is no deduction.  In this case you'll have to settle for the satisfaction of serving.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies