turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deducting health insurance costs while self employed

I am self employed, and bought health insurance through my state marketplace.  I received a 1095-A.  However I also read I can deduct my payments from my self employment income.  Can I deduct the portion I paid in my Sched. SE?  Also, when I entered my 1095-A, it lists $1,500 needing to be repaid for the tax credit.  Since that is essentially health insurance premiums that I need to pay back, do I get to add that $1,500 to my deduction for health insurance premiums?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 9
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

No, the Self Employed Health Insurance does not affect Self Employment tax on Schedule SE.  It only goes on Line 29 of your Form 1040 and saves income tax.

On the screen immediately after entering your 1095-A, check the box that you were self employed.  TurboTax will automatically put the proper amount as the deduction on Line 29 of your 1040.  Do not enter your insurance premiums elsewhere, or it will be double entered.

Yes, your repayment of the Advance credit is automatically included in the deduction.  Again, don't enter it again elsewhere, or it will be double entered.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TaxGuyBill
Level 9
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

No, the Self Employed Health Insurance does not affect Self Employment tax on Schedule SE.  It only goes on Line 29 of your Form 1040 and saves income tax.

On the screen immediately after entering your 1095-A, check the box that you were self employed.  TurboTax will automatically put the proper amount as the deduction on Line 29 of your 1040.  Do not enter your insurance premiums elsewhere, or it will be double entered.

Yes, your repayment of the Advance credit is automatically included in the deduction.  Again, don't enter it again elsewhere, or it will be double entered.

Roe

Help!! I can't get the self employed health insurance deduction to go to line 29 on page 1 of the 1040?? I am an S Corp and have a K1 from my CPA with line 12 filled in with code S but it doesn't feed into line 29?? Help!

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies