turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold my home in 2017, I want to the Adjusted Cost Basis to offset the sale profit mad. I purchased the home in 2010 and I don't have the paperwork that reflects costs?

I see that there are several fees, added costs, and other expenses that can be used to ease my tax burden. Since I dont have paperwork from the purchase, can I estimate these?  What other options are open to me?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I sold my home in 2017, I want to the Adjusted Cost Basis to offset the sale profit mad. I purchased the home in 2010 and I don't have the paperwork that reflects costs?

If it was your main home for at least 24 months during the last five years, you will owe no tax (the first 250,000 of profit is exempt).  Unless you get a 1099-S you don't even report the sale on your tax return.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Do you think you had a profit of over $250,000?  Did you get a Form 1099-S?

no. profit was approximately $28,000

thank you!

You are welcome.  Always happy to deliver good news.

If it was your main home for at least 24 months during the last five years, you will owe no tax (the first 250,000 of profit is exempt).  Unless you get a 1099-S you don't even report the sale on your tax return.

What if we didn't like in the house since 2010 and we don't have the paperwork from when we bought it in 1984?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies