turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NProszkow

Can I file a standard deduction for my 2018 federal return and itemized deduction for my 2018 Maryland return?

If I take the standard deduction, I'd save from my federal return, but I'd owe A LOT more for my MD return.

If I take the itemized deduction, I'd lose $300 from my federal refund but I'd gain $1,095 from my MD return.

Clearly I should itemize my MD return, but it would be nice to save that $300 and file standard deduction for my federal return and itemize my MD return.

I made a copy of my Turbotax file and I can easily file standard deduction from one copy and then switch to itemized in my federal section but then only submit the state portion as a work around - I'm just not sure that is legal.

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

Can I file a standard deduction for my 2018 federal return and itemized deduction for my 2018 Maryland return?

No.  Per the Comptroller of Maryland, if you take the standard deduction on your federal return, you must take the standard deduction on your Maryland return and the same with itemized deductions.  See more below:

Should I take the standard deduction or itemize? - The federal tax reform of 2017 significantly raised the federal standard deduction. Under current Maryland law, if you take the standard deduction the federal level, you cannot itemize at the Maryland level. You may take the federal standard deduction, while this may reduce your federal tax liability, it may result in an increase to your Maryland income tax liability. The Comptroller’s Office encourages you to run your income tax returns under both deduction methods, and to compare the results of taking the standard deduction versus itemizing yours deductions, to see which method causes the lowest overall tax liability.  

From State of Maryland link:  https://taxes.marylandtaxes.gov/Individual_Taxes/General_Information/What_s_New_for_the_Tax_Filing_S...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JulieCo

No.  Per the Comptroller of Maryland, if you take the standard deduction on your federal return, you must take the standard deduction on your Maryland return and the same with itemized deductions.  See more below:

Should I take the standard deduction or itemize? - The federal tax reform of 2017 significantly raised the federal standard deduction. Under current Maryland law, if you take the standard deduction the federal level, you cannot itemize at the Maryland level. You may take the federal standard deduction, while this may reduce your federal tax liability, it may result in an increase to your Maryland income tax liability. The Comptroller’s Office encourages you to run your income tax returns under both deduction methods, and to compare the results of taking the standard deduction versus itemizing yours deductions, to see which method causes the lowest overall tax liability.  

From State of Maryland link:  https://taxes.marylandtaxes.gov/Individual_Taxes/General_Information/What_s_New_for_the_Tax_Filing_S...

NProszkow

Thank you!
JulieCo

You are welcome!
wfindlay

Hi, I have the same question, but about Missouri. Would this also be illegal in Missouri?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies