No longer working, on long term disability. Can I deduct my monthly premiums for COBRA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LeeM

Yes, if you are paying the COBRA premiums with out of pocket funds, you can deduct the premiums paid as an eligible medical expense on Schedule A as an itemized deduction.?

You can only deduct your total medical expenses that greater then 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income?can be deducted if you are under the age of 65 (7.5% if you are 65 or older).? 

Your total itemized deductions must be greater then?the standard deduction for?your filing status?to have any tax benefit. 

To enter your COBRA premiums, you should enter it as a personal medical expense (on the Enter Insurance Premiums screen which is near the end of the medical expenses interview) by following the directions in the TurboTax FAQ below:

LeeM