turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pjhock

Med exp = $10K, 1099-SA is $2385. The $10K is out of pocket. Does the program deduct the $2385 from $10K? Do I need to boost my expenses to $12385 to make it right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Med exp = $10K, 1099-SA is $2385. The $10K is out of pocket. Does the program deduct the $2385 from $10K? Do I need to boost my expenses to $12385 to make it right?

No, it does not deduct the amount.  If you enter the Medicare premiums that were deducted from your Social Security from your 1099-SA it will automatically flow to Schedule A and be included with your medical expense deduction. If you enter $10,000 of medical expenses (in addition to what's on your 1099-SA), you will end up with $12,385 on Schedule A, before it is adjusted for the AGI floor.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

No, it does not deduct the amount.  If you enter the Medicare premiums that were deducted from your Social Security from your 1099-SA it will automatically flow to Schedule A and be included with your medical expense deduction. If you enter $10,000 of medical expenses (in addition to what's on your 1099-SA), you will end up with $12,385 on Schedule A, before it is adjusted for the AGI floor.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies