turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I still get child tax credit (or any federal refund,)for my dependent child if im on ssi disability? Also,for state,can I still get renters credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I still get child tax credit (or any federal refund,)for my dependent child if im on ssi disability? Also,for state,can I still get renters credit?

If SSI or SSDI is your only income, then you owe not tax, are not required to file and there would be no tax benefit in doing so. To get the Child Tax Credit you have to owe tax. To get the Additional Child Tax Credit, you have to have earned income.
If you state has a non-refundable renters credit, that can only be used to off set state tax. If you owe no tax, there is no credit.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

If SSI or SSDI is your only income, then you owe not tax, are not required to file and there would be no tax benefit in doing so. To get the Child Tax Credit you have to owe tax. To get the Additional Child Tax Credit, you have to have earned income.
If you state has a non-refundable renters credit, that can only be used to off set state tax. If you owe no tax, there is no credit.

Only other income is my grandson (in my name) receives cashaid and foodstamps,does that make a difference ?

No, that doesn't make a differenct.

Ok,just confused cause I  have heard of others on public assistance , (welfare,not ssi) ,getting a return?

No if your only income is public assistance, there is no Federal or State tax refund.

If you live in Minnesota, there is a renter's credit available.  The form (M1PR) is separate from the regular state form (M1) & you could qualify with public assistance funds that might be your only income.  The form compares your "household income", whether taxable or not, to the rent you paid, & it could be possible to receive a rent refund from the state of MN.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies