turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 24 year old son has bipolar. He made $7K, on our health insurance, living with us and we pay his bills in 2018. Do we qualify for $1000 dependent tax credit? Others?

My 24 year old son was diagnosed with bipolar and schitzoeffective disorder in 2016.  He is seeing a therapist to work out his medications.  Due to side effects from medication and bipolar depression he only worked 3 months in 2018 making $7K.  He lived in our house and we payed all his expenses in 2018.  He is on my medical insurance.  We claimed his as a dependent in 2017 and 2018.  Do we qualify for the $1K child dependent tax credit?  Do we qualify for any additional tax credits?  Would he be considered temporarily disabled for tax purposes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

My 24 year old son has bipolar. He made $7K, on our health insurance, living with us and we pay his bills in 2018. Do we qualify for $1000 dependent tax credit? Others?

No, he would not qualify you for the child tax credit due to his age.  For 2018, dependents must have been born after December 31, 2001 for that credit.  See the TurboTax article below for more information.

There are no other credits that come to mind with regard to your situation.  

There is not a provision for being temporarily disabled for tax purposes.  Here is the definition according to the IRS:  

"You are permanently and totally disabled if you cannot engage in any substantial gainful activity because of your physical or mental condition. A qualified physician must certify that the condition has lasted or can be expected to last continuously for 12 months or more, or that the condition can be expected to result in death".

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301702

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

No, he would not qualify you for the child tax credit due to his age.  For 2018, dependents must have been born after December 31, 2001 for that credit.  See the TurboTax article below for more information.

There are no other credits that come to mind with regard to your situation.  

There is not a provision for being temporarily disabled for tax purposes.  Here is the definition according to the IRS:  

"You are permanently and totally disabled if you cannot engage in any substantial gainful activity because of your physical or mental condition. A qualified physician must certify that the condition has lasted or can be expected to last continuously for 12 months or more, or that the condition can be expected to result in death".

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301702

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies