turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm self-employed and I am on the health insurance plan from my ex-employer through COBRA. Can I still deduct the premiums as business expense?

I resigned from a company in June 2016. I started working as independent contractor for another company in August. I kept the health and dental insurance plans using COBRA. The monthly premiums are very high. TT tells me self-employed persons can claim the health plan premiums as expenses. Can I claim the health (and dental?) plan premiums from August to December as expenses even though it is through COBRA? How about the premiums paid in July where I did not have a project?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

I'm self-employed and I am on the health insurance plan from my ex-employer through COBRA. Can I still deduct the premiums as business expense?

No.

COBRA premiums are not deductible as part of the self-employed health insurance deduction. COBRA premiums are considered employer provided health insurance premiums. For premiums to qualify for the self-employed health insurance deduction, the plan needs to be set up as follows:

• For self-employed individuals filing a Schedule C, C-EZ, or F, a policy can be either in the name of the business or in the name of the individual.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Phillip1

No.

COBRA premiums are not deductible as part of the self-employed health insurance deduction. COBRA premiums are considered employer provided health insurance premiums. For premiums to qualify for the self-employed health insurance deduction, the plan needs to be set up as follows:

• For self-employed individuals filing a Schedule C, C-EZ, or F, a policy can be either in the name of the business or in the name of the individual.

Does this conflict with the answer here - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3842749-i-received-a-1099-misc-for-self-employment-and-paid-cobra-...> ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies