turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New W-4 and expected nonrefundable credits

I expect to have to buy a furnace and AC over the next year. I'm hoping to find one that qualifies for the tax credit, but I understand it's "nonrefundable" - which if I understand correctly means I need to make sure that I owe taxes before the credit. Otherwise it's lost, not refunded.

In the past I could have changed the W-4, but now it's unclear to me where I put the expected credit. The IRS worksheet seems to suggest that I put it under Step 3: Dependents? Is that right? Should I put the expected amount of the credit...or the amount I expect to spend on the AC/Furnace themselves?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@writechantelle wrote:

which if I understand correctly means I need to make sure that I owe taxes before the credit.

In the past I could have changed the W-4

"Owe taxes before the credit" does NOT mean that you would actually owe the IRS money (the opposite of a refund).  It means that you have income taxes NOT including your withholding on your W-4.

Let's say your tax return shows $5000 of income tax, but you had $6000 of income taxes withheld from your pay (resulting in a $1000 refund).  The credit is based on the $5000 of income tax BEFORE you factor in the incomes taxes withheld from your pay.  So in that scenario, a $500 tax credit would result increase your $1000 refund and you would get a $1500 refund.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

@writechantelle wrote:

which if I understand correctly means I need to make sure that I owe taxes before the credit.

In the past I could have changed the W-4

"Owe taxes before the credit" does NOT mean that you would actually owe the IRS money (the opposite of a refund).  It means that you have income taxes NOT including your withholding on your W-4.

Let's say your tax return shows $5000 of income tax, but you had $6000 of income taxes withheld from your pay (resulting in a $1000 refund).  The credit is based on the $5000 of income tax BEFORE you factor in the incomes taxes withheld from your pay.  So in that scenario, a $500 tax credit would result increase your $1000 refund and you would get a $1500 refund.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Here is a list of non-refundable credits. If you have any other credit on this list, it will affect your energy credit.

See Schedule 3 for the list.

Schedule 3

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies