turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

myoung11y

New job in SC but lasted only 6 months. Can I deduct expenses for this job?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Only the amount of job-related expenses that are OVER 2% of your adjusted gross income get added to your list of itemized deductions, which still must exceed your standard deduction in order to make a difference on your return.  This is kind of a hard deduction to get.  If you need to enter these, go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Employment Expenses>Job-Related Expenses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Was this a W-2 job?  Or were you self-employed or working as an independent contractor?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
myoung11y

This was a W-2 job

What type of expenses?
myoung11y

room Rent, car rental, food

Food?  Nope.

Was the job supposed to last to last longer than 6 months? Were you laid off?

It sounds like you took a new job, moved to SC, and then it didn't work out. That does not make those expenses deductible.

Guess we cannot take for granted that you know what kinds of job-related expenses are legit.

Only the amount of job-related expenses that are OVER 2% of your adjusted gross income get added to your list of itemized deductions, which still must exceed your standard deduction in order to make a difference on your return.  This is kind of a hard deduction to get.  If you need to enter these, go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Employment Expenses>Job-Related Expenses.

Just FYI, for next year and thereafter, the Job-Related Expenses deduction is gone.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Most likely, you can NOT deduct any of the expenses.  It depends on the circumstances of the job move. I agree with SweetieJean, It sounds like you took a new job, moved to SC, and then it didn't work out. That does not make those expenses deductible.

See  similar questions at:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2586426-can-i-deduct-living-and-travel-expenses-while-working-at-a...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2566731-husband-working-and-living-in-washington-i-am-maintaining-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies