Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
joeboo888

My wife was in the hospital for the birth of our 2nd child and our hospital bill was over $6000. We set up a payment plan and haven't repayed it all. Can we claim that?

Marketstar

You can only deduct medical expenses/insurance you actually paid in 2016 if you itemize and the total expenses for you, your spouse, and your dependents exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income (7.5% if you're 65 or older as of December 31, 2016). The deduction is limited to the expenses above and beyond this amount.

See Deducting Medical, Dental, and Vision Expenses

To enter your medical /insurance expenses -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)

• Click on Deductions and Credits

• Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)

• Scroll down to Medical

• On Medical Expenses, click the start or update button

Marketstar

• Click on Deductions and Credits

• Scroll down to Medical