Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife was given a piece of property in roughly 06. The property has set vacant since then. The question is, what are the tax consequences if she decides to sell now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife was given a piece of property in roughly 06. The property has set vacant since then. The question is, what are the tax consequences if she decides to sell now?

If she sells the property for a profit, she will have taxable reportable income. How much it affects your taxes will depend on the amount it is sold for.  The higher the profit, the more she will pay in taxes, plus it will raise your overall income possibly having all of your income taxed at a higher rate than it is currently taxed at since it will increase your AGI.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If she sells the property for a profit, she will have taxable reportable income. How much it affects your taxes will depend on the amount it is sold for.  The higher the profit, the more she will pay in taxes, plus it will raise your overall income possibly having all of your income taxed at a higher rate than it is currently taxed at since it will increase your AGI.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies