workerbee501

My wife got her real estate license in late18 and had expenses for training, licensing etc. Did not complete any transactions in 18. Can we deduct expenses if no income?

TomD8

Yes, she can deduct those business expenses on Schedule C.  But if she is questioned by the IRS, she'll need to show that her real estate activities are a business for her, not a hobby.  One way to support this is to show that she has affiliated herself with a local real estate firm, that her name is on their roster of agents, etc.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

TomD8