Solved: My wife and I payed for legal fee's to acquire guardianship of my grandson . Due to both parents being unable to care for him Are the legal fees deductible

My wife and I payed for legal fee's to acquire guardianship of my grandson . Due to both parents being unable to care for him Are the legal fees deductible

Alumni
Alumni

Legal fees are generally not deductible. There are two significant exceptions

• Legal fees are deductible if incurred to determine or collect any tax liability.
  • Legal fees are deductible if the suit is to secure taxable income.

Because of those criteria, your legal fees would not be deductible.

Alumni
Alumni