HabeasX

My wife and I both had HSAs. I had family, she, SELF-ONLY. I input that in TT 2017 but when I look at her 8889 form, it shows FAMILY and puts $6,750 in box 3. WRONG!!

You're checking the wrong box on form 8889 for my spouse and making the rest of the form invalid.

ghost

Instruction Form 8889.

"Complete lines 1 through 13 as instructed on the form. However, if you, and your spouse if filing jointly, are both eligible individuals and either of you has an HDHP with family coverage, you both are treated as having only the family coverage plan. Disregard any plans with self-only coverage."

ghost

The tax law says if one spouse has family HDHP, the spouse with self only HDHP must indicate family also. TT makes the correct choice for your situation.
ghost

Instruction Form 8889.

ghost

Instructions link. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8889.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8889.pdf</a>