turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gav72

A portion of my Premium for Health Insurance goes to my HSA. Where do I enter this? 5498-SA has total in box 2 but no place to enter 5498-SA

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

A portion of my Premium for Health Insurance goes to my HSA. Where do I enter this? 5498-SA has total in box 2 but no place to enter 5498-SA

If your employer contributed to your HSA or you contributed to your HSA by means of payroll deduction (or both), then this amount should be reported on your W-2 in box 12 with a code of W. This is how "employer contributions" are communicated to TurboTax for completing form 8889 to report on the HSA.

I can't tell what you mean by "A portion of my Premium for Health Insurance goes to my HSA." Your employer may contribute to your HSA for whatever reason, and it will appear in box 12 with a code of W. But your health insurance is actually an HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan) which is partnered with your HSA. The premiums for the HDHP paid by your employer (and you perhaps) are reported on the W-2 in box 12 with a code of DD.

You cannot find a place to enter the 5498-SA because most people already entered their contributions with their W-2.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If your employer contributed to your HSA or you contributed to your HSA by means of payroll deduction (or both), then this amount should be reported on your W-2 in box 12 with a code of W. This is how "employer contributions" are communicated to TurboTax for completing form 8889 to report on the HSA.

I can't tell what you mean by "A portion of my Premium for Health Insurance goes to my HSA." Your employer may contribute to your HSA for whatever reason, and it will appear in box 12 with a code of W. But your health insurance is actually an HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan) which is partnered with your HSA. The premiums for the HDHP paid by your employer (and you perhaps) are reported on the W-2 in box 12 with a code of DD.

You cannot find a place to enter the 5498-SA because most people already entered their contributions with their W-2.

gav72

I make two 150 dollar payments through my employer taking money from my check every two weeks.  My empolyer sends the money to my HDHP which is Mail handlers insurance.  Mail handlers in turn takes 150 of that payment and deposits in my HSA.  The 5498-SA reflects the amount Mail handlers put in plus the money I personally deposited on my own.  Can I enter this into the section where it says "I" contributed?  Thanks
gav72

My W2 does not have a "W" in box 12.  It does have the DD though.

The question is whether or not your employer reduces your Wages on the W-2 by the $150 every 2 weeks. That is, the amount with the W is not taxable, so the employer removed it from Wages in box 1 before printing the W-2.

#1 If the employer does NOT remove the $150 every two weeks from Wages (as I suspect), then, yes, this is an after-tax contribution that you would enter as a "personal" contribution in the screen entitled "Let's enter your HSA contributions".

#2 If, however, your employer also removed this $150 from Wages on your W-2 and didn't enter a code W in box 12, then there is no way for TurboTax to do your return correctly. To do it correctly, you would have to get a corrected W-2 showing the code W amount.

However, I suspect that your employer will tell you that the $150 amount that ends up in your HSA is an after-tax contribution (option #1), so you will be OK - but do ask!
gav72

Thanks!  That was extremely helpful!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies