Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!

My w-2. box 12c says 2500.00 but my employer never contributed to my HSA. I'm the only one that contributes. What do I put in the box then?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

The amount on your W-2 in box 12 with a code of W is the sum of your employer's contributions and your contributions made by means of payroll deduction. Together this is called the "employer contribution" - that's the IRS's terminology, which we have to follow.

Once you have entered the code W amount on the W-2, you do not enter any part of this amount anywhere else on your return.

On the "Let's enter your HSA contributions" screen (see screenshot below), the code W amount appears in line 1, and line 2 is for contributions that you made directly to the HSA outside of your employer (if any).