My W-2 box 12 is coded 'W' and $2500. I wasn't iss...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbmarr

My W-2 box 12 is coded 'W' and $2500. I wasn't issued a 1099-SA. I called 4 companies but no one has a record of my being enrolled in an HSA. Can I skip entering the info

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

My W-2 box 12 is coded 'W' and $2500. I wasn't issued a 1099-SA. I called 4 companies but no one has a record of my being enrolled in an HSA. Can I skip entering the info

Anonymous
Not applicable

you would have received a 5498-SA for contributions.  the 1099-SA would only be issued if there were distributions.  if you have issues talk to the employer  - they should be able to tell you who the trustee is and how to contact them

Opus 17
Level 15

A 1099-SA is only issued if you make withdrawals from an HSA.  The W-2 indicates your employer made deposits.  Your W-2 indicates that your employer deposited $2500 in an HSA on your behalf, either free money or your money from a salary reduction agreement taken from your paychecks.  If you did not make deposits into an HSA, you need to get a corrected W-2 from your employer.  The IRS has this information and if you don't correct it or report it, they will start sending you letters and assessing extra tax and penalties.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
fanfare
Level 15

P.S.

The employer identified on the W-2 with a code of W is the one you should be talking to.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings