lstcharlie

My taxes if I input my deductions why does my fed tax owed not change except for Teachers job expenses?

AnnetteB

Entering educator expenses (teacher’s job expenses) can affect your return without having to file itemized deductions.  If you are not seeing a change in your refund/balance due amount as you enter other deductions, then it is probably due to the fact that you are using the standard deduction for your return.

TurboTax will choose which option (itemized deductions or standard deduction) is better for your tax return.  There is a screen you can visit to see the comparison of the two options.  Use the following steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)

• This opens a box where you can type in “itemized deductions, choosing” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)

• The search results will give you an option to “Jump to itemized deductions, choosing

• Click on the blue “Jump to itemized deductions, choosing” link

AnnetteB