turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Strkahmom

My son turned 18 in Feb 2020. On my 2019 return (he was 17 in 2019) he is marked dependent not child. I just realized I didn't get the credit. Is there anything I can do?

I wondered why I didn't recieve a stimulus amount the 1st round or for this 2nd one for my son. He was 17 during 2019. I just looked on my 2019 tax return and he is marked as a dependent not child. That means I didn't get a child tax credit for him either. Is there anything I can do now to fix it and recieve the extra return and the stimulus money?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My son turned 18 in Feb 2020. On my 2019 return (he was 17 in 2019) he is marked dependent not child. I just realized I didn't get the credit. Is there anything I can do?

there is nothing to fix; 17 year olds are not eligible for the stimulus. you did everything correctly, 

anyone over the age of 16 who was a dependent on someone else's tax return was not eligible. 

anyone  who was a dependent on someone else's tax return was not eligible for the EIP .

Anyone over the cutoff age who was a dependent on your return was not counted toward your EIP.

@fanfare - 

Anyone over the cutoff age who was a dependent on your return was not counted toward your EIP.

directionally correct and I agree, but technically, anyone listed as eligible for the "child tax credit" on the face page of the 1040 is counted towards EIP. Yes, that is typically anyone under 17, but if you are permanently disabled and dependent on someone else for more than 50% of financial support, regardless of age, you are eligible for 'child tax credit' status .... there is an exception to ever rule! 

Hal_Al
Level 15

@NCperson 

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Some one could interpret   "....if you are permanently disabled and dependent on someone else for more than 50% of financial support, regardless of age, you are eligible for 'child tax credit' status .... " as meaning an over 16 person is eligible for the Child Tax Credit.

A disabled adult child can  be considered a "qualifying child" (QC) for dependency and qualify the taxpayer for EIC, but if that QC is over 16, he does not qualify the taxpayer for the child tax credit.  The taxpayer gets the $500 Other dependent credit, instead. 

@Hal_Al - if you follow the thread, the comment was specific to EIP and nothing else.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies