jkelly1673

My son Just assumed my mgt. for 193,000 and I executed a quick claim deed what are the tax issues for me on the equity in the home which is approximately $35,000?

The home's cost was $220,000, homes in the area are selling for $235 K to 240 K.

What forms if any do I have to file for my 2017 return?

What is my son's cost basis?

Is there a gift tax involved with equity?

Hal_Al

Your son’s cost basis is $220,000. The recipient’s cost basis, in a gift, is the giver’s basis.

You report nothing, about this transaction, on your income tax return. You did not make a sale. You made a gift.

"Gift Tax" is somewhat of a misnomer.  Even though a gift tax return is required (your $35,000 gift of equity exceeds the $14,000 filing threshold), very few people ever actually pay federal gift tax. The purpose of the gift tax return is usually only to document a reduction in the allowable estate tax exemption. You cannot do a gift tax return in TurboTax
See 
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Planning-and-Checklists/The-Gift-Tax-Made-Simple/...

Hal_Al

See 

Hal_Al

Your gift of equity is closer to $42,000 (235,000 - 193,000)