Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

g4375rd

My son has Leukemia had has been in the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I traveled 3 times to visit him and spend time with him. Is this tax deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

My son has Leukemia had has been in the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I traveled 3 times to visit him and spend time with him. Is this tax deductible?

That sounds like trips that are just personal visits to a relative who is ill, not travel that is "primarily for, and essential to, receiving medical services." So the travel costs are not medical expenses, and are not tax deductible. If a young child has to travel for medical treatment, the travel expenses of a parent traveling with the child are deductible (with some limits). But I gather that your son is an adult, and you did not travel with him.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

That sounds like trips that are just personal visits to a relative who is ill, not travel that is "primarily for, and essential to, receiving medical services." So the travel costs are not medical expenses, and are not tax deductible. If a young child has to travel for medical treatment, the travel expenses of a parent traveling with the child are deductible (with some limits). But I gather that your son is an adult, and you did not travel with him.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies