Solved: My son has Leukemia had has been in the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I traveled 3 times to visit him and spend time with him. Is this tax deductible?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My son has Leukemia had has been in the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I traveled 3 times to visit him and spend time with him. Is this tax deductible?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15
Level 15

My son has Leukemia had has been in the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I traveled 3 times to visit him and spend time with him. Is this tax deductible?

That sounds like trips that are just personal visits to a relative who is ill, not travel that is "primarily for, and essential to, receiving medical services." So the travel costs are not medical expenses, and are not tax deductible. If a young child has to travel for medical treatment, the travel expenses of a parent traveling with the child are deductible (with some limits). But I gather that your son is an adult, and you did not travel with him.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 15
Level 15

That sounds like trips that are just personal visits to a relative who is ill, not travel that is "primarily for, and essential to, receiving medical services." So the travel costs are not medical expenses, and are not tax deductible. If a young child has to travel for medical treatment, the travel expenses of a parent traveling with the child are deductible (with some limits). But I gather that your son is an adult, and you did not travel with him.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings