turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abush76

Trying to enter child care credit info and says I can't claim this because someone else claimed me as a dependent. What does this mean?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Trying to enter child care credit info and says I can't claim this because someone else claimed me as a dependent. What does this mean?

claimed you or claimed the dependent?   What is the reject code?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Did you already submit your return and are getting rejected or are you not able to enter the credit?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
abush76

it says "you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return" meaning I could be claimed. To my knowledge, no one else can claim me
abush76

My return has not yet been submitted. I was just not able to enter the credit
abush76

I went back to that section and made sure that it was marked that no one else can claim me. I checked my husband's return (that was filed about a month ago) and he did not claim me. No one else could claim me yet I am still getting that error message.

I am getting this same error. Very frustrating. I've ran through it fresh multiple times & it keeps saying I can be claimed a a dependent for someone else which is just not correct.

I am getting this same error. Very frustrating. I've ran through it fresh multiple times & it keeps saying I can be claimed a a dependent for someone else which is just not correct.

If you are getting this error prior to filing you will need to go back into the My Info section and walk back through your answers.  You may have selected that someone else can claim you on their return.  This would be done if your parents or someone can claim you as a dependent.  If no one else can claim you make sure you answer no to that question and be sure the box is NOT checked saying someone else did claim you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies