turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mblloyd93

My old childcare provider is refusing to provide their EIN and the amount we paid. I can probably find the EIN from last year but what about the amount paid?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

My old childcare provider is refusing to provide their EIN and the amount we paid. I can probably find the EIN from last year but what about the amount paid?

If you can find the EIN or SSN in your paperwork (possibly on last year's return), use that. 

If you cannot find the number, the provider’s name and address must still be reported on Form 2441. A taxpayer can show due diligence by getting and keeping in his or her records any one of the following.

• A Form W-10, Dependent Care Provider’s Identification and Certification, properly completed by the provider.

• A recently printed letterhead or printed invoice that shows the provider’s name, address, and TIN.

• If the provider does not comply with one of these items, the taxpayer must still report the required information on Form 2441 to be able to claim the credit. You will likely need to file on paper and attach an explanation to your return regarding the lack of an EIN/SSN.

Regarding the amount paid, you will need to check your records. If you paid by check or card, you can review your bank statements. If you paid with cash, hopefully the caregiver provided you with receipts. If you paid with cash, and he/she did not provide a receipt, you will have a hard time proving this expense. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

If you can find the EIN or SSN in your paperwork (possibly on last year's return), use that. 

If you cannot find the number, the provider’s name and address must still be reported on Form 2441. A taxpayer can show due diligence by getting and keeping in his or her records any one of the following.

• A Form W-10, Dependent Care Provider’s Identification and Certification, properly completed by the provider.

• A recently printed letterhead or printed invoice that shows the provider’s name, address, and TIN.

• If the provider does not comply with one of these items, the taxpayer must still report the required information on Form 2441 to be able to claim the credit. You will likely need to file on paper and attach an explanation to your return regarding the lack of an EIN/SSN.

Regarding the amount paid, you will need to check your records. If you paid by check or card, you can review your bank statements. If you paid with cash, hopefully the caregiver provided you with receipts. If you paid with cash, and he/she did not provide a receipt, you will have a hard time proving this expense. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

As was mentioned above, you should give the daycare provider a W-10, and they are legally obligated to fill it out (including their ID number).  If they refuse, they are subject to a penalty and you can follow the directions given above.

As for the amount, the daycare provider has no obligation to do YOUR record keeping.  It is your job to know how much you paid them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies